Choose font size:  A A A



integrated healthcare

with a conscience.

What is a Grievance/Request for Investigation for persons determined to have Serious Mental Illness?


The Grievance/Request for Investigation process applies only to adult persons who have been determined to have a Serious Mental Illness.

You can file a Grievance/Request for Investigation if you feel:

  • § Your rights have been violated;
  • § You have been abused or mistreated by staff of a provider; or
  • § You have been subjected to a dangerous, illegal or inhumane treatment environment.


You have 12 months from the time that the rights violation happened to file a Grievance/Request for Investigation.  You may file a Grievance/Request for Investigation orally or in writing.  Grievance/Request for Investigation forms are available at NARBHA and providers of behavioral health services.  You may ask staff for help in filing your grievance.  Contact the following to make your oral or written Grievance/Request for Investigation:

NARBHA Grievance and Appeals Office

1300 South Yale Street

Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Or call NARBHA Member Services at (928) 774-7128 or toll-free at 1-800-640-2123; for hearing impaired, please use the Arizona Relay Service at 711 or 1-800-367-8939 or internet assistance at

Any grievance concerning physical abuse, sexual abuse or a person's death must be submitted to ADHS/DBHS.  To file an oral or written grievance concerning physical abuse, sexual abuse or a person's death, contact ADHS/DBHS Office of Grievance and Appeals, 150 North 18th Avenue, Suite 210, Phoenix, Arizona 85007, 1-800-421-2124 or 602-364-4575. Hearing impaired individuals may call the Arizona Relay Service at 711 or 1-800-367-8939 for help contacting the Division of Behavioral Health Services

ADHS/DBHS or NARBHA will send you a letter within 7 days of getting your Grievance/Request for Investigation form.  This letter will tell you how your Grievance/Request for Investigation will be handled.


If there will be an investigation, the letter will tell you the name of the investigator.  The investigator will contact you to hear more about your Grievance/Request for Investigation.  The investigator will then contact the person that you feel was responsible for violating your rights.  The investigator will also gather any other information they need to determine if your rights were violated.